Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2,007

    Strahan

    November 21, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Our first full day here. It is very much a town now geared around tourism. Its original roots are in mining -iron ore and copper around Queenstown - and logging, the ancient Huon Pine being the primary wood source.
    We walked the old railway track around the bay to Regatta Point and then took a detour on the way back to The Hogarth Falls. We walked through more beautiful rainforest on our way to the falls, an easy walk for us with no steps - wow!!! Recent walks we have done have generally involved copious amounts of steps or uphill climbs!
    We looked around the museum in the town, which was very interesting. Lots of information about the history of the area and the battle to conserve the natural beauty found here. Increasingly we feel great sympathy with the aborigines who originally lived here.
    After lunch we drove a few kms to do the Ocean Beach trail followed by a walk across the Henty Dunes. Not quite on a par with the Dune de Pyla (in France), but impressive nonetheless. The dunes were extensive and back onto Ocean Beach, the longest beach in Tasmania at 40k. We walked for 40 minutes carefully noting changes in direction so we did not get lost on our return. We were alone as we walked, and it was all very peaceful.
    Another day of walking - 18kms in total.
    Read more