Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2,006

    Strahan

    November 20, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    This was a travelling day across the south of the island, into the "wild west".
    The sat nav took us to the A10 highway through beautiful countryside, green farmland with livestock and vineyards interspersed. We joined the highway at Hamilton, the route taking us through Broadwater and Elderslie. We therefore missed going to Hayes and Gretna.
    The main road to the west climbs through the Tasmanian World Heritage wilderness and is pretty spectacular from start to finish.
    We stopped off for breakfast 2 and a half hours into our journey at Derwent Bridge.
    We spent an hour looking in amazement at the incredible craftmanship of The Wall in the Wilderness. A timber wall 3 x 100m sculpted by Greg Duncan over 20 years out of Huon Pine. We were told it was a must see, and we were not disappointed. The wall itself is brilliant and some of the stand alone sculptures exceptional. No photograpy allowed - it has to be seen up close to see the detail.
    We reached Strahan (pronounced Straun) early afternoon, and after setting ourselves up, we wandered into the town to book the Gordon River cruise for later in the week.
    We were told that the restaurant View 42 provides a good fish buffet every night, so we walked along to book that too for our last night in Tasmania. View 42 has a great view so we enjoyed the moment with a glass of wine.
    Read more