Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Salt Lake City

    April 28, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Today we went into the city. Our family, Carla, kids and neice all went on the Utah traxx, which is the public transport system. It is like a tram as it is on the main roads and has frequent stops.

    It was another warm and sunny day and the tulips in the temple of the Mormon church were gorgeous. We had a talk around the busy area and the kids were drawn to the numerous fountains in the complex. We didn't go into any of the buildings as a combination of 5 kids, a busy area and a nice day would have been stressful for us all.

    We then walked a few blocks to a developing retail area that has a splash pad. The splash pad was surrounded by fake grass and chairs for us to sit in. Around the area was cute little ponds surrounded by rocks to look like they natural environment.

    Brandon got soaked right through playing in the splash pad. Inara got undressed and ran around with her white body soaking in the sun but did not go into the water. She finally decided she liked the ponds but we were told by the security guards that they are not for kids to play in.

    We had our picnic lunch there and was there for an hour or so before we headed back to the apartment.

    We had an early dinner compared to the last few nights. Carla grilled hot dogs, chicken drums with BBQ sauce and chicken and vegetables skewers and we finished off with more s'mores. Carla has also introduced us to using peanut butter Reece's cups rather than Hershey's with the s'mores and we may never go back to original s'mores again.

    The stop here in Salt Lake visiting an old friend was great. It was nice to be in reality a bit, having conversation and the kids being able to play with other kids. Carla, whom Elisa has known since 7th grade or so and hasn't really seen her in for about 15 years or so, and at points haven't talked in years (but thanks to FB has reconnected) opened up her apartment, took off work and cooked us amazing dinners. Her kids were also accomodating. Isla slept in her brothers room Raffi and Franco, while Josh, Elisa and Inara used her room and brandon slept on the floor in the boys room as well. It was a perfect visit and we are very appreciated with the hospitality (and letting us so all our never ending laundry).

    Utah is a lovely state, has so much to offer and the people around the area are a bit friendlier than other places visited. We will definetly have Salt Lake on our visits again back to the States and maybe we can get a chance to snowboard on the majestic mountains that make Salt Lake City so unique.

    Tomorrow we are back on the road and more hiking to come.
    Read more