Satellite
  • Day 17

    Another thing ticked off the bucket list

    October 16, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    I’d been wanting to do a sky dive for a while, and what better place than over the rainforest and ocean in Australia. Harriet wasn’t so sure however and we spent most of yesterday talking about the pros and cons of her doing it with me.

    After about 7 hours of deliberation and about 4 final decisions she booked it and immediately regretted it. This morning she was ready to pull out but we checked the T’s and C’s and it would have been an expensive decision!

    At the sky dive centre we were fitted up with harnesses and given a quick briefing about what position we should be in while our plummeting from the sky. Next thing we knew we were taking off from Cairns airport heading for 15,000 feet and being clipped onto our tandem masters. We both got a bit frightened at this point, soaring above the clouds and when the door opened the first two people just tumbled straight out. I was 3rd, Harriet said she saw me jump out and then roll around off into the clouds! I’m sure that didn’t make it any easier for her. It was all over in a flash, but what a rush! It felt like we were floating rather than falling and we didn’t get that sinking feeling we were expecting. It went from mad falling to serenity in an instance when the parachute opened.

    H is scared of heights so for her to even get in the plane was amazing. I spent most of my dive wondering whether H had gone through with it, when my parachute opened, my dive buddy pointed her out - I was so happy she’d done it! I watched her land and we had a big cuddle. Life goal done.

    We celebrated with a lovely beer and then relaxed by the Lagoon for a while. Top dinner at Salt House and then we saw that one of our friends from Fraser Island was in town, so got him out for a few beers. Nice way to end the day!

    Last day tomorrow, heading for the Great Barrier Reef.

    Mart x
    Read more