Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Tokyo: Day 3

    May 28, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    “Hello! Pretty lady!” Steve opened his eyes this morning, and said this to me as the sunrise lights shined through the window.
    “Are you crazy? I am so old now!” I said.
    “Well, just stating a fact.” He said.
    Well, after over 20 years of marriage, I guess it’s nice Steve still feels that way. 😂 Tokyo morning became very special to me suddenly. ❤️

    A few months ago, Evan told us he wanted to spent his 18th birthday in Japan. We told him sure, but he had to plan the entire trip. Well, he spent many days planning, creating a google spreadsheet for all the cities he wanted to visit, along with all the dinner options and activities. Amongst all the places, where we were going today was one he wanted most: Akihabara, the electronic capital of the world, the gamer’s paradise, the anime lover’s dreamland.

    As an avid gamer myself, and spent a couple years watching anime with Evan, I was excited to go as well.

    Although, the first task again was to head to one of the best restaurants in Japan. The restaurant is called Tonkatsu Hasegawa, They “use premium Hiraboku Sangenton pork from Yamagata. The house-made panko breadcrumbs are outstanding as well – they produce a golden crispy crust that is light and never oily.” According to the Time Out Magazine.

    This tiny restaurant only has few tables, so even though we got there early, due to the fact there was already a line waiting outside, we ended up waiting almost 2 hours to get in! However, their food was without a doubt one of the best in the world!

    After lunch, we finally got the chance to walk around the area, squeezing through thousands and thousands super nerds from the world. Pretty girls dressed in sexy maid outfits, handing out fliers. Sadly few people were paying attention to them.

    Evan wanted to get a plushie for his friend, and the only way to get the best ones are by using claw machines. There are stores with hundreds of claw machines filling in multi-floor buildings. Evan decided to get a super cute dog, started to try to pick it up, but failed over and over. A nice Japanese worker took a pity on him, opened the case and moved the dog as close to edge as possible, but the dog was still elusive to us. After many more tries, we left with our heads down. 😭

    We walked pass Maid cafe, both men felt too embarrassed to go in. We walked pass the Cat Cafe, Evan went to check it out, but since I am highly allergic to cats, we didn’t end up going inside. Apparently there is an Owl Cafe as well, but the reservation has been sold out for days. So we left without going into any cafes.

    Next, we went to Kyu-Shiba-rikyu Gardens, a peaceful oasis inside the steel forest of Tokyo financial district. The lovely flowers and pine trees were stark contrast against the background of grey buildings.

    For our dinner tonight, Evan picked a very unique restaurant called Maguro Oroshi Fisheries Terrace, a waterfront eatery with outdoor seating, including some nice swings overlooking the water. The food was cheap and fresh.

    We had planned to go to a high tech museum tonight, but by the time we got there, the tickets had all sold out! We bought our tickets for Wednesday afternoon. So looking forward to this visit!

    It has started to rain by the time we went back to our hotel.
    Read more