Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 12: Kyoto (Happy 18th bday to Evan!)

    June 6, 2023 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    Day 12: Kyoto (Happy 18th Birthday to Evan!)

    This morning was all about celebrating Evan’s 18th Birthday! The candles I brought all the way from home were placed on the French pastries we got yesterday, our Japanese house helped making our photos picture perfect.

    I had scheduled a Kimono Tea ceremony, and we were very excited about it. I have to say, putting on a kimono is super complicated!! I can’t imagine if someone has to put one on themselves. Not surprisingly, it took a lot longer for me to get dressed than the guys.

    The ceremony was excellent! Our host was a very cute Japanese lady, who speaks excellent English. Although she wasn’t too confident about her English herself, kept asking us if we understood her. She was very good at keeping the conversation moving, and getting to know all the guests. The entire event was very charming and relaxing. Although sitting on your knees for a long time was very challenging after a while.

    Next stop, bamboo forests, which was about 45 minutes away from Kyoto. The closer we got to the little town by the forest, the more crowded it got. Even though the bamboo forest was absolutely gorgeous, the crowds certainly added some chaos to the supposedly peaceful atmosphere.

    One of the best rated restaurants in Kyoto is a tiny place with only 10 seats. I reserved our seats months ago by contacting the owner via Facebook, mentioning Evan’s birthday.

    The owner specializes Kyoto style dishes with local ingredients. Every single dish was fresh and tasty, absolutely amazing! We also had some great conversations with the owner and fellow diners.

    As we paid our food and about to leave, the owner stopped us, took out a birthday sash, a pair of funny glasses, a tiara , a laptop loops Happy Birthday song endlessly. Evan, who never liked being the center of attention, blushed all over. But he allowed the restaurant owner to put everything on him, even gave a speech. 😂 The diners who haven’t left yet certainly had a good time celebrating with us.

    I’d say Evan had a memorable birthday today! everything on him,
    Read more