Satellite
  • Day 15

    Osaka Castle

    May 11, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Travelled from Matsue to Osaka today - 3.5hrs by local train, Shinkansen, another local train and the subway. Osaka is Japans second largest city and a great rival of Tokyo but doesn't have much in the way of attractions. Apart from its reputation as a gastronomic wonderland there are the usual Temples and a Castle. So off I went to Osaka Castle and braved the hoardes of tourists. I really dont like crowds of tourists, they spoil the atmosphere of a place, not that Osaka castle has much in the way of atmosphere. its a gaudy late 90's rebuild of what was an important site in the 16th Century unification of Japan. Built in 1995 this 'new' castle is a concrete reproduction complete with elevators, even one on the outside, duh!!! Needless to say I didn't go inside just took a few photos and explored some of the nicer relatively tourist free areas of the grounds and Shrines. After the atmosphere and wonder of Matsue Castle built in 1611 and still largely extant, Osaka castle was a bit of a dissapointment. I am so glad that most of my trip is going to be off the tourist track and taking in some lesser known wonders of Japan.

    Off out tonight to explore this astronomic wonderland; good job I have done tons of walking over the last few days :-)
    Read more