Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Lovely Day in New York

    May 23, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Up early and headed for breakfast at one of the 100s of eateries nearby. I settled for a Hungry Man Hero sandwich - and it was enormous! I did my best but couldn’t finish it.

    Walked down a few blocks to 42nd Street - what a fabulous street it is - home to the United Nations, the Art Deco Chrysler Building, the amazing New York Public Library, the Port Authority Bus Station (busiest in the world), the New Amsterdam Theatre (home of the Ziegfeld Follies), and my favourite building of all - the magnificent Grand Central Terminal. Built in 1913 in the Beaux Arts style, I hadn’t appreciated that this most gorgeous of all railway stations, Grand Central Terminal is one of the world's ten most visited tourist attractions! Pity it only now services local commuter trains, with long distance Amtrak trains now departing from the featureless Penn Station hidden under the concrete mass of Madison Square Garden.

    At the western end of 42nd Street the Circle Line departs from Pier 83. It’s amazing to think that some of the world’s greatest liners docked right here side by side within walking distance of Times Square. I took the 2.5 hour tour circumnavigating the island of Manhattan. What a lovely relaxing trip - apart from the 50-odd screaming kids on a school trip, who only showed interest in the commentary when the site of Alexander Hamilton’s fatal duel with Aaron Burr was pointed out on the New Jersey shoreline. At least musical theatre has taught them something.

    Our guide on the tour was a Donald Trump doppelgänger - complete with dodgy hairdo and exaggerated mannerisms. He was full of his own self importance and gave a running commentary for the duration of the trip, barely stopping to take breath. His catchphrase was ‘stay tooned’ whenever he told us about another forthcoming development in the city.

    A need for a bit of culture in the afternoon was satisfied with a trip to the Museum of Modern Art. It was wonderful to see such a fabulous collection of paintings by the Masters.

    Tonight my show was My Fair Lady at the beautiful Lincoln Centre. What a breathtaking production with a huge moving set gliding on and off so easily. Eat your heart out Eastwood! Terrific performance from Laura Benanti as Eliza. And so off to bed, bed I couldn’t go to bed...
    Read more