Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Georgia on my mind

    June 23, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    After our busy tour around Florida, Campbell and I were relieved to arrive in Kingsland, Georgia to spend 3 days with my sister Sadie and her husband Bill. They made us feel really welcome, although we seemed to go from one meal to another. They have a beautiful home looking on to a small lake with a variety of wildlife. My niece Lorna and her partner Jeff came round with my great niece Teagan - it was great to see them all. Teagan is a lovely girl who seems content to entertain herself with her toys, although she didn’t seem too pleased that Teagan’s room had been taken over by two strange men..

    Had a trip to picturesque Fernandina, but it was too hot to stay on the beach. After our day to Charleston we spent our last morning visiting nearby historic St Mary’s. Again it was boiling hot - 100 degrees at one point - so it was always nice to get into an air conditioned store.

    Just before we left for Orlando airport we got a message that our scheduled flight to Glasgow was cancelled until tomorrow! However Thomas Cook came up trumps and booked us into a beautiful 4 star resort hotel - Rosen Shingle Creek - where we had a lovely room with a terrific view with dinner and breakfast included. The hotel was full of Glasgow families from the same cancelled flight. Dinner was a sumptuous buffet with everything you could wish for from seafood to roast beef. ‘There’s nae chips’ however complained a spotty Glaswegian ned.

    ‘I’ll have some o’ that soup’ declared a heavy female tourist from Ayrshire. ‘Well just come right over and help yourself, ma’am’ said the waiter cheerily. ‘Ye mean ah‘ve tae serve masel? Ah thought this wiz a 4 star!’ ‘Yes, ma’am and this is our self service restaurant.’ ‘And where’s the breed?’ she continued. ‘Can I offer you some oyster croutons or saltine crackers, ma’am?’ ‘Naw, ye cannae- I need some breed tae dip in my soup.’ With the ‘breed’ duly provided, the lady commented on the size of the soup bowls. ‘We’ll jist need tae come back twice, Mary’ she announced to her friend. You can take the girl out of Glasgow...
    Read more