Satellite
  • Day 40

    Travelling East

    August 7, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Once I'd scrapped the idea of travelling from Vancouver to Toronto entirely by rail my transit across Canada had become slightly more complicated albeit a lot quicker and cheaper. The next journey from Jasper to Calgary was via Brewster. Brewster are a nationally recognised coach company and considered a touch nicer than the infamous Greyhounds. Thankfully it transpired my latest travel companions were catching the same one.

    We had a very leisurely morning at the hostel with the intention of getting the noon shuttle into town for a spot of shopping prior to our coach departure. We were all ready outside the hostel with our luggage until we realised the darn shuttle picked up from the road not the main entrance and we watched it drive away without us. Oops. Thankfully splitting a taxi cost very little extra and we were in town before half 12. Plenty of time for me to spend too much money on lumberjack and bear themed gifts and souvenirs.

    Before we knew it we were on our coach. Yes of course I nested. I ended up right behind the driver actually which meant not only did I get great views out the front windscreen but I also got a little tray table to further nest upon. Conversely we travelled down the same road we had road tripped down the day before so at least I got to enjoy the journey a bit more this time without worrying about the road. To my enjoyment and surprise the coach stopped in both Lake Louise and Banff for long enough periods to have a look around and see a few sights. I parted company from Matt and Ellie in Banff where I also grabbed some tea before embarking on the last stint to Calgary.

    Once deposited at Calgary airport I caught a cab to my nearby Air BnB. I only wish I could have gotten there earlier. For only £32 for the night I practically had a suite. Massive room with L shaped couch and flat screen TV not to mention gorgeously decorated and mints on the pillow. Quite the step change from my 30 bed dormitory! Sadly rather than crash out and enjoy it I had some serious re-packing to do before my internal flight to Toronto tomorrow. My. Worst. Nightmare.
    Read more