Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 1 Portpatrick to Castle Kennedy

    July 11, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    The first stage of the walk was along the cliffs to the Killantringan lighthouse, which involved descents to Two coves where we picked up a stone to throw in the sea. In Dunbar. Nothing too dramatic in contrast to the SWCP.
    From there we turned inland for about an hour on Tarmac. Not too happy.
    Today's walk was a 2 bog day which we encounter for about 1/2 hour. It must be funny watching us tip toe through it. It did not compare to the Pennine Way.
    Two Scots cowboys on buggies were rounding up sheep and for a moment we thought we would be trampled in the stampede.
    Then a considerable section of Tarmac walking. During this stage we were stopped by a lady who invited us in for a bit of Scottish hospitality. Tea, cheese and chocolate bickies. We spent an hour with Jannis and Ian. As we left another couple of walkers arrived and received the same hospitality. Really lovely moment.
    More Tarmac walking until we entered the forest.This change was too much and we got lost.
    We reached Castle Kennedy in time for our pick-up and our overnight stay in Stranraer.
    We would not recommend this stage.
    Read more