Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Day 2. Morning Alcobaca.

    August 9, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Why Alcobaca you may ask?. The Cistercian Monastery here was one of the most important and powerful Abbeys in the Cistercian order. It was founded in 1153.
    It has many Azurlejo. The hand painted tiles which. Depict major historical events. The tiles are about 150mm square. Many fine examples here. The church was the first Gothic church in Portugal.
    While wandering around the cloisters we heard this beautiful singing. We arrived at a chapel just as the singing ended. It was a Japonese lady and a falsetto. A male contralto. We spoke to him, Joao Paolo Ferreira. a Brazilian. He sings for the different touring groups. We sat down and he sang for us. A special moment. We continued our tour and shortly after we heard Joao Paolo singing Ave Maria. We met him again and asked if he had a CD. Yes, but in the square when he busks. I asked if he would sing Ave Maria for Shirley but unfortunately he had another appointment.
    Later we located him singing and I bought a CD. He then sand Ave Maria for Shirl who was moved to tears. The events of the last few days had caught up with her.
    A coffee, very good, and a Portuguese custard tart. Delicious.
    Read more