Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 4. Fado.

    August 11, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    On the way to the concert I decided to check out the post office. Why you may ask? I have been traumatised by my experiences with the Italian Post Office and do not want a repeat experience. Compared to the Italian Post Office, Australias' is efficient and productive.
    With trepidation we entered and all appeared normal. Phew!
    Now Shirley's purchases can be sent home.
    All afternoon I had been racking my brain for the name of a guitar piece we had heard played by a busker earlier. As we sat down for the concert it came to me. The adagio from the Concierto d'Aranjuez. A very beautiful piece of music.
    Fado is a tradition of the Coimbra University students. The University was founded in 1290 and has a long and distinguished reputation. Fado was sung/played by the male students wooing the young girls but during the dictatorships of Salazar and Caetarno it was used to pass on messages of protest. Nowadays song are sung emphasising the love of country.
    The musicians play the Coimbra guitar, founded on the traditional guitar and the sitar. And the classical guitar.
    We had a very entertaining and enjoyable evening.
    Dinner was enjoyed in the nearby Placa in a barmy evening.
    Tomorrow we head off to Porto. The weather forecast is for a couple of hot days before a return to pleasant temps.
    Read more