Satellite
  • Day 152

    Tallinn ,Estonia

    June 8, 2018 in Estonia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Tallinn, Estonia

    Beautiful Tallinn, we have visited before, but today was simply gorgeous. Estonia has a Soviet background, but is so alive and doing well, many years on. Well kept, the Old Town is so picturesque , around every corner is something to take your breathe away. It dates from the 14th ,15th and 16th, Century ,with first mentions way back in the 11000’s, in the Churches and history contained within the walls. Like many countries ,Estonia has been involved in conflict in times past, Russia and Germany for a time ,many people left ,but now a population of 440,000 in Tallinn area, so not huge ,by any means. Independence in 1991,finally. Now many visitors, but they retain a lovely manner, and their buildings are kept beautifully .Cobbled streets ,from ancient times .
    Their crafts are unique and very classy, and so many different things. Amber is everywhere in this part of the world ,and in the main ,It’s not something I love, but there are some designs that are lovely. They have beautiful knitwear, and textiles of all kinds, linen in all shapes and forms ,and lots of little dolls ,and some big ones ,and very pretty tiles. Many cafes on the streets, with sheepskin on their chairs and warm blankets for the customers, and flower boxes and pots. Their array of food is so tempting.. They do Medieval “Dress Ups”, and I have a great picture…! The trees are huge and beautiful ,one we saw was 350 or more years old ,and has a special person buried beneath ,in trouble, but is coming away again. Some are Linden trees. We had coffee and chocolate to warm, as it was a very cold wind. I bought a hat, knitted ,lined with a light polar fleece, and a fur pom pom, and never took it off…I have plenty of warm clothes, but it looked sunny and nice…but, the wind was not…I shall be aware next time, but the hat I like anyway..!
    We walked up to the Old Town, and then for several hours ,reluctant to leave in case something more was missed… A very special day.
    A busy cruise port , new and modern , with huge ferries from Scandinavia ,of many kinds ,Viking Sun, which we hope to sail on in the future ,tied beside us, new and very lovely ,Seabourne Breeze ,here as well. A good breeze as we sail towards St Petersburg for 2 days ,from tomorrow. Only to be 14o,so will be prepared with warmer clothes.!
    Tonight our singers and dancers had Music from Stage and Screen ,it was simply great ,very professionally done.
    I have so many photos, choosing for you will be a challenge, as I can only see the small displays, and it has to be a quick process. Didn’t feel so bad when we talked to Renee ,the Hotel Manager, tonight ,and he said ,been here many times , [worked for HAL for 25 years ] ..said to his wife , no pictures today, then…It’s so stunning you cannot help take them…!. Enjoy..
    Read more