Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 155

    Turku, Finland

    June 11, 2018 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Turku ,Finland

    A 5 hour journey from the open sea to reach Turku, amongst many tiny Islands that is a huge archipelago. The Port is large, but the part we came to not so much and just nearby is the countryside, so pretty. Ships are built here and some very large ones ,of recent times ,like Oasis Of the Seas..
    Only a short time here , so we were off early, on the shuttle, to this the oldest city in Finland, a Castle from ancient times, and these buildings are so ,so sturdy ,climate wise this needs to be ,and I think such functional people, don’t do anything frivolous ,so strong and huge to last forever in times past..
    The older part of what is now an extended city ,was very pretty ,and along the river with its beautiful trees ,we were early ,so not at all busy, and we made our way to the very huge Cathedral on the hill, so strong and tall, with its wooden top and spire. Beautifully positioned, looking down on the city, inside it is massive, almost unadorned though, as are these Lutheran ,and it is not their way ,the structure was hard to believe, some small stained glass windows ,where a special Catherine was in her crypt, and the biggest organ ever, which in such a space would be amazing, a nice part for the children to play. Hard to imagine how such a structure could be built long ago.
    Cobbled streets, around the other parts of the older buildings ,little courtyards with wrought iron porches over the doors, some crafts, they make the rag rugs, and lots of wool for knitting and looms around, the lengthy darkness of winter would have to be filled. It’s quite old fashioned, crafts, knitting patterns even lacy looking, pots for plants made from the Birch Bark. We investigated it all and in the Park a little red squirrel ,busy up a tree ,such a teat, so very cute..! Ancient buildings painted in interesting shades , some now are cafes and the like. Impressive statues, a lovely wander
    Later we went to find a supermarket for Laundry supplies, always an adventure in a foreign land , where you cannot read the labels, but stumbled across a pack of Sard looking soap, and took the advice of a young assistant, they speak English and yes had the right thing…hand washing, our laundry is included but…have to be selective…[later to discover it is the most huge cake of soap every made, [we thought 3 in a pack..but its super sudsy..!]
    On then coffee, very good here, and onward futher,for a Hat /cap for Sam, had to have one from Finland, and that was no mean feat. As in cold places [today was anything but, hot in fact] shops from the outside are not very recognisable, so through double doors you need to investigate ,that we did, and met lovely people and had perfect coffee. Onward through the flower market, they love the flowers ,in such a short summer, everyone has baskets ,and all kinds around, as many as possible, so its very bright and beautiful seeing them all together.. The fashions are not our kind of things ,but pretty scarves and accessories to be had.. Finally found the hat ,in a very hidden but wonderful food market ,and café building ,looking almost disused from the outside…!
    Time to return for our early departure ,you discover such a lot on foot, but unfortunately don’t know the details ,in a different language… we have nice thoughts of Turku, our sail away was through the Islands ,and many lovely homes along the way, to the outer Islands, where almost every one had a Summer house and little jetty ,further out were fish farms , just a few on our way, we saw the most gigantic fillets of salmon today, enormous, I suppose the cold waters help them to grow, but really would not be keen on such a size..
    Today is a special day for our ship , Prinsendam is 30 years old ,on this day 30 years ago, she sailed on her maiden voyage ,from this Port of Turku. At 5pm we came from our cabins, to the hallways to meet with our neighbours,[Our next door, did not attend] many others did…the Officers and Captain came through and we had champagne, a beautiful cake has been made . Nice to be part of history ,she is a specially lovely ship, taking us to amazing places ,and for that we are so thankful.
    Bye from us heading for Sweden.
    Read more