Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 155

    Helsinki Finland

    June 11, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Helsinki, Finland and Beyond..

    From early morning ,still and so perfect, in the brilliant sunshine, we silently sailed in,a stone’s throw from the tiny Islands of the archipelago around Helsinki ,swans along the shore,[their national bird] through a tiny opening, that was a fort in times past, into the inner harbour.
    A hazard here, are the sea gulls, and having my breakfast banana, a fluttering of wings ,almost in my face, in he came looking for a bite.. !!!Last time here ,a cunning one swept in while we were having gourmet sandwiches in the beautiful park ,and whipped it from Sam’s hand a flew off…we were quite indignant.! So reminded hastily, these are the clever ones, of the Baltic.!
    Some places stretch your mind and some your hearts, and that has been Finland today ,a trip to a Country Home ,our choice with Porvoo , the 2nd oldest village in Finland .What helped to make our day was our guide Corra ,who was an older person, who was SO informative and delightful. She looked like some of the Wast Family as well…
    The Finnish language is unique, comes from Hungarian origins, nomadic tribes came North, and settled long, long ago, understanding them somewhat, are the Estonians, across the water. They are not Germanic or Russian, at all. They have overcome enormous odds in war, to remain as they are ,and have had to be innovative and courageous to survive. Russia ruled for a time ,and did do some good things like the Rail links, but when they insisted the children learn to speak Russian they said NO, goodbye. Hard won battles by a small nation, who lost so many men to war, has made them strong. They have so many sensible laws, Education is vital , and many things in place to teach young ones to strive, and really that has to be the most important part of a country. Medical care is almost free, Drs visits are, and Hospital care a flat rate of about $40. Waiting lists for only non essentials ,like cataracts or veins, and then its not more than 3 months.. Pensions are 60% of your earnings ,and Taxes 29%,considered high, but pays for such a lot. 9 months maternity leave ,and that can be shared by both parents, almost all Mothers have a good job, and child ,care is free in the main .There is a Baby Box for every baby born in the country, with everything a baby needs and the box can be used as a bed, but not often now, but from the war days it is on going.
    Drink driving is 0.5 % tolerance, and today, Sunday, way out in the country ,there was a checkpoint, and they get the night beforer’s.. Our bus fitted with a device, strictly enforced, a breathalyser, that it wont allow it to start, if there is any alcohol recorded at all, the driver told me that this is not a nation wide requirement ,but many towns and villages ,where children are transported ,require this to be so.. 6mths Military training for all males of 19 years.
    This is a land of sensibility, it seems, and no nonsense at all…!
    All this and I may have lost you already ,before we begin the actual outing…
    Off through a coastal part of the city, many boats along the smooth rocky shore ,of Helsinki ,out through Parklands with Lakes that are skated and skied upon in the long dark winter, this is also the home of Ice Breakers, built here ,because for a start they are the only Baltic country that all its harbours freeze ,so needed, and they supply other countries as well. Ship building is a main stay ,as is a paper industry, in the land of many trees. Clever technology in the propulsion systems of all ships originates here ,and other technology as well.
    Out into the real Finland ,where 68% is water, so its silver birch forests with ferns beneath, and blue lupines along the highway, the enemy of their DOC as well…and small Lakes and water everywhere. All flat land is utilised for crops, of barley ,rye ,rice and legumes ,subsidised by the government. Animals do not feature ,they have wild Elk, Brown Bears and wolves in the north and Lynx as well .

    The home we visited was of many generations ,managed by a far seeing wife and grown to be a conference centre and retreat ,originated in the 1600’s and added to in the 1800’s and 1900’s, so bigger than most Finland homes, which are small ,to enable them to be heated for 9mths of the year . They say they see other countries with large homes and think, are you mad..!
    Welcomed into their living rooms, amongst the Family treasures, and the Art of Finland ,some quite precious ,along with the Families baby shoes ,bronzed and kept. Mangus the son ,was the host, Mum in the kitchen ,quite a glamorous Mum, an up market lady very friendly,.Mangus telling us of the history and traditions of times past and heating stoves etc. Mum saying get on to the coffee and cake ,which we did, very tasty, and enjoyed in the sunroom over looking the lake below. They now make jams ,and fruit cocktails of interesting mixes of natural fruits, and berries, to sell. The Lake is for fishing.[ Almost every Family has a Summer house near or on the water.]
    Such a beautiful setting and such a treasure to see ,on a warm and lovely day. Small garden of Peony’s, Alchemilla Mollis ,and Sedums, exactly what we grow..
    I cannot remember it all , so much today .I now believe some things are in the genes.., Family traits.! Sam’s Grt Grandfather ,Abraham Wast, came to the other end of the earth ,from Bergo in Finland ,in the 1800’s,he educated his children well, in a time that was not considered necessary, especially for girls, who went on to be Dux at their College in the North Island.. A clever Family resulted.. I felt sad he never saw his home and Family again ,when Fins are so very Family orientated, and fiercely patriotic .
    Visiting Porvoo, a beautiful, ancient village ,so precious with its cobbled streets ,original houses, now selling gorgeous things as small shops ,much left from times of long ,long ago, they kept their cemeteries beautifully ,amongst glades of birches , and I understood the remaining relations wanting Abraham to have a memorial ,and that he now has, at the other end of the world.
    We had time to enjoy Porvoo, wander along the tidal river that was a busy Port in times past ,to see the little things, that matter, learning what Finland is about ,we understand so much more, and our group all enjoyed the day greatly. It seems this is a well run Country, with innovative systems in place.
    On return to Helsinki we had time to walk , it is an up-market city, with quality everything…Large harbour front market, seeing all the fruits and tasty things on offer, we had some, and once again robbery attempted by gulls…!!! Drinks and coffee on the harbour edge, and back for the sun, as we sailed..
    You will have tired of this ,but felt it important to recall, and there was so much to learn.. Wish you could all come ,it is so beautiful, and different from anywhere else. The sail away was equally as beautiful as the arrival, many people lining the harbour walls, of the outer Islands. We are sailing to Turku ,in Finland, the former capitol and oldest city.

    A little joke from today..A couple from Finland ,celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary, wife cooking dinner in the kitchen…crying, the husband hearing this, goes and says why on earth are you crying.? Well we have been married 30 years, and you have not said you loved me , once ,all day. I told you I loved you 30 years ago, he said, and if I changed my mind ,I would let you know.!!!
    This was in the explanation of how the minds of people from Finland work… We all laughed a lot.! They do NOT do small talk…!
    Read more