Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Indian Ocean

    March 30, 2019, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Indian Ocean ,Sea Days.

    Here we are sailing on a gentle breeze under blue skies ,in 29o. Perfect.!
    Our days are very full ,in fact yesterday ,hardly a moment to spare. Morning is the Craft group, where simply everything happens, a vibrant group of over 50 women, growing daily. Everything is made from small quilts, to beaded shawls, [beads knitted in I may add]..baby hats for Africa, hats for the Troops ,lovely scarves,and at a request knitted birds nests, for a rescue centre .! We decided a step too far.! Great connections ,already with kindred souls.
    Lecture on Mauritius ,unforgettable we are told ,looks amazing. Lunch Poolside ,offering beef and lobster hamburger, looked delicious..Each day there is a different special treat, today was Bagels, of many kinds, with great selection of fillings.
    A movie of epic proportions First Man,,the story of Neil Armstrong, the astronaut[.Released last year, so you may have already seen it.] Bravery on a huge scale, so many lives lost, but they pressed on, in craft that were so small, helpful that we had visited the Space Centre in Houston, and had looked at the very things. Cumulating in the moon landing, what a gamble it was, in so many ways.The toll on his Family, the story was very thought provoking. Also remembering where I was on that day, with my little class of infants ,listening in ,at Halfmoon Bay School, long ago.
    Charlotte Smith and her lectures continue to enthral ,she is a delight ,and so much to learn ,all of it a beautiful insight to her clothing collection, incredible ,her Grandmother a Quaker.
    Entertainment is very good and varied, a New Zealander Will Martin ,listed, along we went, thinking I have heard of him…WELL, this very young looking boy, ill at ease, came out ,looking like he was going to run away ,then he sang ,he was simply amazing.! From Elton John, Billy Joel to Pop Opera, he has recorded with a European Symphony Orchestra, and had that as his background , at times, played the piano, a professional ,amazing young man ,who wasn’t really so young .A voice like no other, such talent.. He received a standing ovation.! He will do one more show in a few days, we will be waiting.
    Evening World Café ,last night was a Chinese Buffet, beyond compare , such variety ,very good, have to be controlled ,so much that is so good.!
    The Viking way will make it very hard to go to another line ,so much is perfection, they have improved on every aspect of cruising. Its is so peaceful, quiet spaces and cabins, a few rules ,which are maintained in a nice way. All to add to the enjoyment for everyone.
    Toady the bathing suits were unearthed, and out into the sunshine, beside our Aft Infinity Pool , quiet and lovely…along came an elderly Australian man, right beside us, as I enjoyed my book, peeled off the shorts to reveal his ”Budgie Smugglers”, Don’t look Ethel ..springs to mind !! ,why Oh why ,would they wear them…at any age.!!! It was funny…!
    Sam swam in the pool and enjoyed that. The sea around us ,is dark inky blue ,5000 mtrs deep, and not a thing in it, it seems, away out here, our Naturalist is despondent ,the odd mutton bird, earlier days, but now so far from land ,nothing…I think, only us…That will change of course ,as we near Islands teaming with life that is so unique.
    Today our lecture on Madagascar ,was a wonderful insight to what is ahead. Things that are nowhere else on earth..just have to be lucky enough to see them of course.
    Communication from here is not reliable ,and my emails not always received, but I will try this and see what happens. Half way today and it is passing quickly. I hope all the kindness and caring is making a difference in NZ. We love to hear from you all,Love from us, away out here, Faye and Sam
    Read more