Satellite
  • Day 141

    Verona (Day 1)

    August 9, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    It's time for a Roadtrip! We hail a cab from the nearest square and head to Florence Airport to pick up our hire car.

    Trav spent ages finding the best vehicle to hire and we're all a little disappointed when we were given a brand new Fiat 500x SUV with the smallest boot ever. Unable to swap for another car without a surcharge we manage to cram Jimmys massive suitcase and Trav and Sukis backpacks into the boot and Stephs suitcase gets crammed into the middle rear seat. The car is packed and we're ready for adventure.

    Apart from no storage space it's a brilliant car with a built in Tom Tom GPS. Jimmy plays navigator and radio DJ and we set off enroute to Verona.

    Our next airbnb accommodation was easy to find and we arrive to meet the hosts mother who can't speak a word of English but with a few games of charades were checked in and cranking all 3 aircons to cool down. It's Sunday afternoon and just about everything is closed. We spend ages looking for a open supermarket but end up settling for pizza from a local pizzeria with numerous gourmet options on display. We were quite impressed that they charge per weight of the pizza and 1.5kg of pizza (8 different varieties) cost us €19 - bargain!
    Read more