Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 142

    Verona (Day 2 - Wineries and Lake Garda)

    August 10, 2015 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We've all been hanging out for some decent wines so we set out and explore the mountains on the east side of Lake Garda.

    Being holiday season most of the small villages are like ghost towns and our hopes of finding a winery open for business is not looking good. The girls in the back are getting carsick from the windy roads and Jimmys DJ skills are failing to keep our spirits high. Eventually we stumble across a winery that's OPEN!

    Inside we try as many wines as possible and are very grateful for the experience. With a bag of bottles we continue and cross our fingers for more success.

    We're on a roll and find another winery this time with massive 3L bottles. Trav is the voice of reason and stops everyone from buying the large bottles which carry a €6 surcharge due to the bottle size. Refreshed and a little perky we continue to the last planned winery and it's open as well!

    Its our last winery for the day and it's by far the best. The host is really interesting and provides plenty of crackers, biscuits and cheese on the side. She's dating the boss so we assume she's got a pretty good gig. The wines are brilliant and topped off with a sample of grappa. Outside we pose for vineyard photos before we make another purchase and the host throws in a free bottle opener!

    We make our way to south-east section of Lake Garda (packed as this is where all the locals for holidays) for the last stop of the day and kick back on the pebbley beach to polish off one of our newly acquired wines with some cheese and crackers.
    Read more