Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    3 Island Tour - Horn Island

    August 24, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Up and moving early today, even before the damn alarm. A fun start to the day, I thought I'd quickly curl up a few bits of my hair, well, I melted green woolies bag onto one section of my hair after unknowingly resting the curling iron on a bag. So that was fun haha. I brushed some of it out, and Ben cut one small chunk out, no biggie, but luckily it was only a little bit. Once ready, we grabbed our backpack and walked down to the wharf where we met Bill and Carly, our skipper and first mate for the day. We were on the Luna Sea vessel, a bit smaller than we imagined, but happy with it because it meant there weren't many of us crammed onto the boat, 19 of us. It was about an hour to Horn island, our first stop. Bill stopped nearby and went though some local history of the Torres Strait Islands. It was so bizarre when he said that we were closer to Papua New Guinea than Bramwell Station and closer to Indonesia than Cairns. On our way into Horn, the boat stopped and we finally saw our first wild, salt water crocodile, just chilling on the sand. When he slid off into the water it was our time to move. At Horn island, Carly walked us to the Torres Strait Heritage museum where we watched a video and got to explore the artefacts, photos and read local stories. It was a nice amount of time, then we wandered back to the boat for our next destination.

    Somehow we had brief service amongst the islands, yet we lost service at Cooktown on the mainland.
    Read more