Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Chimborazo Basecamp

    October 7, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    First big step taken with a 9h moto drive (incl. 3 stops) from Manta on sea level to the basecamp of the highest mountain in Ecuador Chimborazo!

    Covered nice windy roads on the way and had great luck with the weather until we climbed Chimborazo and got hit hard by fog, cold and rain - but that’s part of the adventure and we made it literally blind on the last 10km to our destination, the Basecamp of Chimborazo. Found great hospitality there but freezing cold at night with potential direct view on Chimborazo - if the weather god is in your favor.

    The huge altitude difference we covered within one day (3900m) unfortunately, but actually expected, did not enable a pleasant recovery at night and led to severe headache. That explains my face in the morning when the fog gave us a short glimpse on Chimborazo and closed immediately the gates afterwards. Half baked photo checked!

    Therefore, we decided to cut our losses after trying (without luck) to get a better view from the Chimborazo Refugio (at least we spotted some wild picunias as a small redemption!) and left to Banos after breakfast with a bit of disappointment, but also looking forward on warmer climate.
    Read more