Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Sydney to Melbourne

    October 13, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Today began our journey to the United States again, although not everything fully went to plan! I had an early shift at work this morning, meaning we could take an afternoon flight. Our friend Jo Troy is house sitting for us, so we made sure the house was spotless before she came over. Even after all these trips abroad, I still find the packing process overly stressful. This is probably compounded by the fact that Ted would prefer it if we didn't check a bag in. It makes travelling easier, but packing is so more stressful!

    Getting to the airport was easy. Getting onto a flight wasn't! Upon arrival, we found out our flight to Honolulu had been delayed for about 12 hours. Ted and I talked about our options, as flying to Melbourne to connect to the morning Los Angeles flight seemed like the best idea. Whilst waiting in the airport, I was surprised to see our ex-housemate Justine walk past. We haven't seen Justine for years, and now she was with her husband Orlando, and is expecting a baby. The two of them were similarly trying their luck with staff travel.

    After a quick log-in to staff travel, we picked up our bags and made our way back to the Domestic Airport. We flew business class down, although this was one of the rare occasions where I wasn't fussed if we did! We'd also made a quick booking at the airport hotel, Hyatt Palace, for the night. We had to cancel our hotel booking in Honolulu but fortunately only lost the cost of one night's accommodation.

    The Melbourne hotel is very nice so we aren't disappointed. Tomorrow we will try our luck on the Los Angeles flight but at least we will have a good night's sleep first!
    Read more