Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Victoria, British Columbia

    August 23, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    I've continued having these simpler breakfasts every morning now, showing you can sometimes have too much of a good thing! Today is our second last day on the cruise before our arrival back in Seattle tomorrow. We had to start packing up again for the next part of our journey, although we're just going to walk off with our suitcase, rather than wait forever for baggage services to deliver it.

    When we looked out of our cabin window, we thought there was a lot of fog. As it turned out, it was smoke again, meaning we're near Canada. I thought I would try trivia again, so after a snack of waffles, headed off to give it a go. There weren't as many comments from the peanut gallery this time, although I didn't end up winning either! But I like the thrill of competition too.

    We had lunch with the Welsh guys Andy and Craig before our arrival into Victoria. We had already arranged with our party of eight to explore Victoria together, so we first went to (where else?) for drinks before disembarking. We originally had a party of ten, but we haven't been able to locate the Canadian boys lately. We suspect they might have received a better offer!

    Victoria ended up being quite contrasting. When we disembarked, we first walked through a nice seaside neighbourhood, with a lot of fancy houses and gardens. As we arrived into the city, we were similarly pleased with the Downtown area, and got some great pictures of the Legislative Assembly and the Fairmont.

    As we went further into town though, it tended to go downhill somewhat. Maybe we just wandered offtrack, but the harbor area we ended up in wasn't particularly attractive or appealing. By this stage, we were happy enough to head back to the ship.

    After having dinner upstairs, we returned to our room to finish packing. We said goodbye to Chris and Andrew, and Craig and Andy before going to bed. It will be sad to leave our new friends, but it will also be great to continue on the next half of our holiday, as we travel around the state of Oregon.
    Read more