Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Chiloquin, Oregon

    August 28, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    After an average sleep, we managed to have a pretty decent breakfast, due to the amount of food we brought, as well as food Beth supplied us with for the morning. Ted thought we should explore a nearby town, so we drove down to Klemeth Falls. There were plenty of bugs again - this time they were the ones hitting the car during the drive! Klemeth Falls was nice enough for a walk around, and exceedingly better than Chiloquin. Ted was keen to visit a nearby Walmart before we headed back north again.

    This time we went to the Crater Lake visitor centre to watch a short movie about the actual crater. Ted was starting to stress about our lack of petrol but fortunately one of the rangers was able to advise of a nearby service station. It was literally two pumps in the middle of the road, but we didn't mind!

    We then drove around the lake in a counter clockwise direction, and visited one of the viewpoints we'd missed yesterday. After walking a short while to the lake's edge, we were greeted with a spectacular view. It was at this moment I realised I'd left my Iphone camera back in the car! Fortunately Ted had his so it wasn't too disappointing.

    Beth had recommended seeing nearby Lake Klamath, which wasn't that easy to find due to poor signage, and a confused GPS. It ended up being a nice lakeside area with natural spring waters. A very nice area with some wonderful photo opportunities.

    She also recommended some waterfalls that were north of the park so, since we had a whole day, we headed there next. The drive seemed to be very long, possibly because the scenery was similar for most of the route. We ended up seeing two different waterfalls - they were nothing spectacular, but it was something different to see too.

    After having a late lunch we headed back to our room to relax and re-pack for our departure tomorrow. We considered returning to Klamath Falls for dinner since they had a good range of restaurants, but considering we already had enough food and had done enough driving, we decided to stay in. Crater Lake has been quite the experience - a mixture of beautiful scenery, and rough and ready townships.
    Read more