Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

    December 21, 2018 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 32 °C

    This morning I thought we should try the formal breakfast option to see if we would like it. We were seated at a table with couples from Australia, the USA and Switzerland. I liked the breakfast as the setting was relaxed and the food options were varied, but I think Ted preferred the buffet as it is easier for him to find diabetic options.

    We had a later arrival into Kota Kinabalu so I went to morning trivia and lunch before packing a bag to join our day excursion. Our tour was shuffled into the ship's theatre before departing the boat. We boarded a bus before heading first to the Tun Mustapha Tower, and Sabah State Administrative Centre which is a government office complex. They are both examples of modern architecture in the city.

    We then headed to the City Mosque, also known as "The Floating Mosque", as well as the Sabah State Mosque for some impressive outdoor photos. When we were given the option to visit the markets, they didn't look even slightly appealing, so Ted and I decided to hang out at a nearby Starbucks to relax in air conditioning, have a coffee and use the wifi.

    Afterwards we headed to the Sabah Museum which also included an outdoor display of culture and the traditional way of life. We found the outdoor display much more interesting as it included a blow dart display and the types of housing the natives used, and decided to forego the museum altogether.

    To be honest, we didn't find Kota Kinabalu particularly interesting, and we were looking forward to re-boarding the boat for a buffet dinner. That evening we tried Movies under the Stars again with the film Tomb Raider. I thought the film was boring but Ted liked it. I headed to a Hollywood Trivia night instead with a group of new-found friends which was a lot more fun. Another ship day tomorrow!
    Read more