Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Los Angeles to Toronto

    September 5, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    After another mediocre sleep where we both woke up during the night due to jet lag, Ted and I packed up our luggage before making the trek to the airport for our flight to Toronto, Canada. Thank God we checked our itinerary - both of us had assumed our flight was at 2pm but we were actually reading the flight time for our trip home. Since our flight was actually that morning, I didn’t get time to shave before departing, as it was just a case of throwing everything into the bags, calling an Uber, and leaving.

    Ted had been keen on leaving early regardless as today is a public holiday in the USA, and he feared the airport and the traffic there would both be chaotic. Both ended up being fine although there was a lot of congestion closer to the terminal. The waiting area however was nuts, so we found a quieter area upstairs to chill before boarding.

    I bought a salmon roll to eat before departure which I’m glad I did - the flight was over five hours and was delayed due to the late arrival of the aircraft. One annoying thing was the lack of baggage space onboard - a lot of passengers (not us) had to surrender their hand luggage before boarding.

    The flight was really cold to begin with so we needed our jumpers for most of the flight. Ted spoke to one of the flight attendants and it ended up that she is married to one of the Hawaiian ground agents Ted knew in Honolulu. Of course once they knew we were crew everything changed! They offered us free alcohol, which we took for Gretchen and Dallas, and some snacks for the drive to Collingwood afterwards. We never expect to get anything for free, we’re just happy to meet fellow crew.

    Once we landed in Toronto, we collected our luggage and needed to trek from one terminal to the next to find the car rental office. Due to this and the initial flight delay, we left much later than expected but were then on our way! The drive to Collingwood was almost 2 hours but due to the change in time zones, we weren’t too tired even though it was late. We were starving though as there were no food options between there and the airport.

    We finally arrived at Gretchen and Dallas’s house around 11pm and felt bad because we had kept them awake so late! We were so grateful when they asked if we’d like something to eat, since we hadn’t eaten since early that morning! Gretchen’s nephew Griffin is also staying here, as well as his dog Lincoln. We saw their son Ben briefly before bed, as well as their new dog Biscuit. Even though we were all tired, we ended up talking until 1.30 in the morning.
    Read more