Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Golden circle

    March 19, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    Well I've not seen any puffins or whales, apart from dead ones either stuffed or on plates! As it's my last day ashore it would be criminal not to do a golden circle tour. The Golden Circle is a circular route that covers about 300 kilometers and loops from Reykjavík into central Iceland and back in a day trip so I should see a few sights today.

    Eventful start went for stroll around gestasofa and when I went back for coach it had gone! Another coach took me to catch mine up at next stop🙄
    This is the place where you can actually see the two techtonic plates, one is Europe and one is Americas the guide reckons there is a place where people can stand with one foot in America and one in Europe but where we are the fault line is marked by the river

    The weather has taken a turn and it's really snowing, our next stop is at a geyser, the guide is really ott on health and safety, explaining if we get burned it may be half an hour to get a first aider, then an hour to get an ambulance and hour to get to hospital, real cheerful eh. Mind you it's strange to see water bubbling out of ground with steam all around, and it snowing ha ha, lots of signs saying water is 100 degrees.

    Someone explained all homes in Iceland are heated with geothermical hot water piped into large storage tanks and then into homes, apparently the heat loss is minimal due to pipework being super insulated.

    Well from the hot to freezing next, we are off to see the gullfos waterfalls. What a fantastic sight the pictures dont do it justice , the power is immense, coupled with the wind and snow make this really outstanding today. I think I would like to come here again in summer with no wind and when it's grass around not ice and snow but that said I wouldn't have missed seeing here in the conditions of today, it makes it more awesome.
    Read more