Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Assateague - Nat'l Seashore 11/20 & 21

    November 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Despite the issues we had on our first night camping, I woke up feeling exhilarated and free. We explored Bass River State Park, and then headed one hour south to the Cape May Ferry which took us across the Delaware Bay. On the other side we took off down Highway 1 finding our way to the Assateague National Seashore where we camped for two nights ($15 a night). Our campsite was on the sand on the Bay Side, less wind, and again we did not have water or electricity hook-ups but our battery had recharged and we could fill our tank with water. We did have access to a cold shower building. That was exciting - complete shower done in four blast of icy cold water.

    The real problem with no electricity hook up is not being able to make coffee in the morning. Sad! Especially since we had new coffee from Eva to try. But we found a way around this set back - we stole electricity from the Ranger station to make coffee before the Station opened. That's what you can see Harry doing below. I had the strangest feeling that this is how bears must feel when they realize that people have bird feeders hanging outside - is that too obscure a reference?

    As you can see, the beaches are beautiful. You probably know that Assateague is famous because of the wild horse herds that roam the Island in both the Maryland and Virginia part. Assateague has a great Visitor Center where we saw a film about how the horses came to be living there as well as great exhibits about the local aqua culture. There are two herds at the National Sea Shore in Maryland and more in Virginia. The horses are left wild in Maryland which means no care is given to them. They are kept to a steady number - something less than 200 - by means of a vaccination given to the mares after they have had one foal. In Chincoteague foals are auctioned off which is the point of that annual event where the cowboys herd the horses across the channel.
    Read more