Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Charleston via Myrtle Beach

    December 4, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    This entry will introduce some of the trauma that (not infrequently) goes into our days. We wanted an early start to Charleston so we set out to get on the road by 9:00. We got a little behind schedule because first Harry had a terrible time getting the car hitched back up and then we were talking to our camping neighbor, Ricky, before heading out. It's a darn good thing we spent time talking to Ricky because when we pulled out of the campground we became unhitched. Yup, the car and the trailer were no long operating as one. There are two safety chains that connect you so the camper was hanging on by the safety chains and making a seriously god awful noise. We quickly pulled over on the side of a very busy road and Ricky coming crashing through the bushes to help us! Harry and Ricky got us hitched back up.
    Big trauma.

    That day had a few more snafus like going 70 miles out of way courtesy of our gps through very god-forsaken parts of North Carolina, and traffic standstills on 17 South, but we did finally find our way to Myrtle Beach State Park where we had a lovely pull through spot which means we did not have to unhitch which means Harry was a happy camper that night.

    This State Park was just lovely - we had a nice big spot in the trees, clean showers ( I think I took pictures), and a 200 yard walk out to the beach. The dogs couldn't go off leash here but they were happy (see pictures below). The Park Ranger showed us to our spot because we got here late and I asked him - since it was dark - whether there was anything to look out for when we took the dogs for a walk. He r.plied - just snakes!

    We also visited an RV Sales and Repair place one block from the State Park and the lovely service manager got on the ground and examined our hitch because it was making a horrible grating sound and we were unsurprisingly a little nervous about the hitch. He just loosened a bolt and sent us on our way.

    Do you Ashfieldans remember Mr. Donut from Route 9 in Hadley? Well, that was one of Harry's favorite donuts spots - and oddly enough, that Mr. Donut is now located in Myrtle Beach. We got one dozen for us and one dozen for the RV people. Life is good.
    Read more