Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Walking to Matosinhos

    July 4, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    The day started by leaving the lovely Albergue de Peregrinos de Senhora de Hora and taking the Metro back to Porto. I'd been there the previous evening, but to late to get a stamp from the cathedral, so back I went. For those who don't know, old Porto is a maze of narrow, very steep roads/passages, certainly not the best start with a dodgy knee. It does have it's own magic with lanes that are too narrow for cars.
    So eventually arrived by the river and the easy directions were to foolw the river, keeping it on my left, then at the estuary, follow the coast. After Porto only a few slight inclines, so not a particularly hard day, apart from I hadn't really put in many practise walks this time.
    Arriving at Matoshinos, no places at reasonably priced pilgrim hostels, so off to tourist office. Lovely lady phoned and booked me a room at the Seaman's Mission. Own room and bathroom, luxury. Did all nessary washing and then temperature dropped so may end up drying t-shirts from rucksack tomorrow.
    Total distance today 19km (didn't set Find Penguin until a fair bit out of old Porto).
    Read more