Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    LEJOG Day 6 - Wellington to Cheddar

    September 5, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Across the Somerset flats - an ‘easy’ day, but not without its challenges.

    Derailleur issues for Geoff (fixed at a bike shop in Taunton); 1 flat tyre for Gaylene; 2 slow motion falls whilst navigating a rough path along the Taunton Bridgewater Canal.

    Then an incorrect turn by Nikki led us into a 400m jungle path of brambles and nettles. We were at a point of no return so had to push through it, but nearly lost Gaylene beneath the greenery.

    Tired and needing coffee & food we detoured into Bridgewater (not very inspiring). Back on the bikes and 1 km out of town Geoff had to high tail it back to the cafe as he’d left his backpack behind🫢.

    Finally arrived in Cheddar and nice pub rooms. Showered & refreshed walked round town and then up to the cliff tower lookout - but it was padlocked. And just to top the day off, there was an unexpected Sydney style torrential rainstorm just as we were walking to dinner, so there were four wet and bedraggled diners - both shoes and clothes completely soaked!

    However - amazingly fantastic Italian restaurant - so a good conclusion to the day.

    Except I nearly set the fire alarm off - back in the room I was using the hairdryer to dry my socks and burnt a hole in one - hence the odd smell of singed fabric. Whoops!

    Distance: 70 km. 330m Ascent
    Read more