Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Serendipity, part 2

    June 26, 2022 in South Korea ⋅ ☁️ 84 °F

    We packed up early and went to find breakfast before leaving for Hongdae. As luck would have it, the same place we had our first meal was open early. When we walked up to the counter one of the women smiled to her colleague and said, “mashisoyo!” remembering us from our previous visit. Our dumplings were equally delicious the second time around and the perfect start to our day.

    There was a mist in the air, the threat of rain for the day and to pass time, we strolled stopping here and there to look at city art work or to stop in the store for an early morning pistachio and cherry ice cream. There are some things you get away with while on vacation and this was one of them.

    We arrived in Hongdae to immediate hustle and bustle. An immediate influx of young people. Immediate confusion. We walked from one end of the street to the other in search of the “close by” hotel and, frustration bubbling, wanted to give up. Even with a map, even with directions, the Mercure hotel remained elusive. We were standing, right in the middle of the sidewalk just about feeling ready to cry when he appeared; “you need help?” “I’m trying to find this hotel!” I told him as I showed him the map. He looked down at it, then “okay! Let’s go!” We trotted after him, chatting as we went and I thought he would simply point us in the direction of the hotel — he did, but continued with us until we got there! The entrance was not easily accessible and definitely not obvious so our new friend whipped out his phone and called *someone* to find out how we can enter. He beckoned us to a storefront door which then led to the hotel whose lobby was on the fourth floor. We were escorted by him upstairs to the lobby where we breathed a sigh of absolute relief. I couldn’t thank this stranger enough because my thank you’s just didn’t feel sufficient… but I guess they were to him. I honestly don’t remember seeing him get back into the elevator, maybe I was just distracted — but as if by magic, he was gone. Nia says that the guy was a guardian angel, much like the man yesterday, two empty seats down; an angel whose job it is to keep you safe. I’m inclined to agree with her because they sure showed up when we needed them!

    We literally dropped off our bags and ran over to the HYBE Insight building to look at the BTS exhibit which we thoroughly enjoyed, before returning to the sensory overload that is Hongdae!
    Read more