Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Nightmare journey to Napoli

    September 12, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    The journey began badly when there was no signal on the sat Nav. Thinking it was because we were surrounded by tall buildings we continued to drive down from Orvieto towards the motorway.
    We stopped at the first motorway service and M fiddled with the satnav but no joy. At the second service stop he found out that data was switched off on his phone.

    All was well and we had directions to follow. All went well along the motorway, not too much traffic and beautiful scenery. The start of Autumn is a good time to see the changing season. Trees just starting to change from greens to yellow.

    Then we arrived in Napoli. All the rules of the road are non existent. It’s every man for himself. Mopeds, cars buses and people seem to dodge through and round other road users. There was even a chap dancing in the middle of the road.

    Added to all that the petrol tank was dangerously low and we couldn’t find a garage! Program Mrs Google? She took us round and round where a petrol station should be there was none. Finally on a crazy busy dual carriageway there were half a dozen pumps. The chap working the pumps deserves three times what he is paid risking life and limb.

    After that we followed the same circuit to find our bed for the next four nights and it is absolutely wonderful.
    Read more