Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    48. ETH: Bahir Dar - Blue Nile Falls

    July 10, 2023 in Ethiopia ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    Our tour guide for the drive through Ethiopia was Dagi, and our driver, Yonnis. They picked us up in Addis & we headed off to Bahir Dar.

    The Blue Nile Falls is a key tourist attraction in this part of Ethiopia. It is known as Tis Abay in Amharic, meaning 'Smoke Abay'.

    The river's path takes it to Khartoum, Sudan, where it joins the White Nile (which originates in Uganda, as you saw in my last post). Collectively the 2 rivers are the primary source of the Nile River, which also flows through Egypt, ultimately emptying into the Mediterranean Sea. The construction of a much-needed hydroelectric dam upstream (the river flows north, so upstream is south, in Ethiopia) has reduced the flow of the falls, but the real issue lies in Egypt, where the many people relying on the Nile are affected by the reduction in flow.

    Although puny in comparison to Victoria Falls in Tanzania, I enjoyed this experience more. The Nile Falls were located in a remote, lush green area surrounded by local farmland. It gave me the feeling of enjoying a special place in nature, as opposed to joining the herd at a tourist attraction.

    Food update: We got introduced to injera, a thin pancake made from local teff flour, which is topped in the center with your choice of food. You eat the dish with your hands, tearing off a piece of the pancake, and using it to pick up and eat your topping. Its a bit messy as the pancake becomes soggy, but its a traditional practice for Ethiopians to eat with their hands. Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad i tried it.
    Read more