Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    50. ETH: Gondar - Fortress, church & fun

    July 11, 2023 in Ethiopia ⋅ ☁️ 68 °F

    We visited Gondar, a city in northern Ethiopia known for the walled Fasil Ghebbi fortress and palace compound. King Fasil (Fasilidas) settled in Gondar and established it as a permanent capital in 1636. The fortress city functioned as the centre of the Ethiopian government until 1864. At the center of the compound is the immense 17th-century castle of Emperor Fasilides, which combines Portuguese, Indian and local architectural styles.

    We also visited the Debre Birhan Selassie church, which means Trinity and Mountain of Light, and is the most famous place of worship in Gondar. Originally painted for those unable to read, every inch of the church walls are covered in vivid depictions of biblical verses.

    But the real fun was heading out one evening to a local establishment called a "traditional house", where we watched the ekista dance. Eskista is a traditional Ethiopian cultural dance from the Amhara ethnic group performed by men, women, and children. It's known for its unique emphasis on intense shoulder movement. I gave it a shot, but, as usual, my enthusiasm outweighed my talent!
    Read more