Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Don't think, just jump!

    June 25, 2023 in Albania ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Permët is a city next to the Vjosa River - the only river in Europe that still follows its natural line. Here we stay at the Hotel Vjosa, where a very friendly family welcomes us warmly. Anxhelo and Violetta show us the most beautiful church in the next village and we have very good conversations.
    Close to Përmet there is the Lengarica Canyon with many hot springs. While we take a bath in one of them, it starts to rain. Luckily, we have the best spot there under a fig tree and can watch frogs.
    In fact, we have planned to do a hike of several days through the Zagoria Valley and have packed and prepared everything. Shortly before we start, the locals advise us not to go because at this time of year there are shepherds with dangerous sheepdogs in the mountains. Therefore, we have to change our plans spontaneously and would like to go by bus to the Lengarica Canyon to hike there. Although we contact the bus driver, the bus doesn't stop for us. So we hitchhike to the canyon and meet a restaurant owner and two Spanish tourists. We follow the hiking trail up the canyon and pass by wild turtles in the forest guided by small towers of stones. In between, the trees and bushes thin out and there are beautiful views into the canyon. At the end of the canyon, we descend and go canyoning back - all barefoot and from rock to rock. At some parts the canyon becomes so narrow that there is no sun. Wading through the water, the level rises to our navels, so we carry our backpacks above our heads. Reaching the end of the canyon, we reward ourselves with a bath in the thermal springs. Back at the hotel, we spend a lovely evening with the family of the hotel owners, sitting outside together, eating cherries and having interesting talks. Thank you so much for everything! We will be happy to come back again one day :-)
    Read more