Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Port Arthur sights

    March 5, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We had a later start to today as it was a day at least we weren't having to check out and move on.
    As we were heading to check out some of the sights around Port Arthur, some Green Rosella's decided to pay us a visit. They are obviously used to being hand fed. Millie enjoyed being able to feed them by hand, but didn't like the idea of them sitting on her... she did though think it funny when one landed on my shoulder.
    After feeding the birds we headed to Eaglehawk Neck and Tasman Bay National Park Lookout. Here we had a coffee and hot chocolate.
    Then we made our way down to the Tesselated Pavement. Incredible how straight the lines are and how unnatural they look, but they are a completely natural occurrence.
    We then drove through Doo Town, where everything is a play on the use of the word Doo, from the names of properties to the names of businesses. Lunch at Doo-licious Seafood (fresh fish and chips) and a walk to check out the Port Arthur Blow Hole and Fossil Cliffs. Millie really enjoyed singing "the ants go marching"... a little too much.
    Then we checked out the Tasman Arch and Devils Kitchen... again amazing how the natural structures of these 3 landmarks are formed, and how each is a version of the other, but with several million years between each; the Blowhole, the Tasman Arch and the Devils Kitchen being like the child, the parent and the grandparent.
    Today was a lot of visiting different locations around Port Arthur, as you could no doubt guess. We then moved on to the Tasmanian Chocolate Foundry, where Millie saw a pirate! He even had a chest with some treasure in it! Though the most amusing part for Millie was that he had a magpie on his shoulder!
    Then on to another lavender farm, where we had some lavender tea and lavender whisky... it is a thing and really does taste good... if very purple!
    Finally we got some supplies for a BBQ dinner and headed back to our accommodation. Millie got to play on the park while I did a load of washing and Lindsay went for a walk... then I got to go for a walk, after dinner.
    Read more