Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Whitsundays Boat Trip

    January 15, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Left Abel Point Marina bright and early on a sailing ship called Siska. Had cool crew captain called Tess who was just stood fag in hand in her bikini driving the boat, and a deck hand called Jamie who was exactly like the turtle from Finding Nemo. Sailed into the Whitsundays 74 islands and put the sails up, have never been on a boat like that before with the boat tilting so much. The boat Siska used to be a racing boat and apparently had Prince Charles on before!

    Went to Whitehaven Beach first, voted number one beach in the world. It was absolutely stunning, silicon sand that is finest in world. Apparently was used to make glass for Hubble telescope! Had stinger suits and went paddling in the water. Had met some people on board, Emilia from Sweden and a group of boys from Oxford called Sam, Owen (ecologist) and Thomas (lawyer). Walked up to observatory post and saw how beautiful it was from up high. Amazing.

    Then went to Tongue Bay for first snorkel, saw lots of tiny fish but caught my foot on some coral so got a scabby foot injury! 🙈

    Moored for the night in Hook Passage which was calm area between two islands. The stars were INSANE. Never seen quite so many. Laid in a hammock that had been strung up on the front of the boat and stared up for ages. Could see Orion's Belt and so many others. Played cards with the boys and Emilia and watched the moon physically moving up and over the island with its reflection on the water. It was amazing.

    Food was good all day, had quiche for lunch, nachos for snacks, and bolognaise for dinner.

    Sleeping wasn't so much fun, it was SO HOT in the cabin and really uncomfortable and noisy. Dozed for a few hours and then we were all up early.....
    Read more