Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - Sitka

    September 19, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Day started off very early! After falling asleep yesterday afternoon and not waking up for dinner I was fully awake at 4am. Mark woke up....or was more likely disturbed by me.....soon after and we got up and went to find coffee at 5.30am. Amazing how many other early risers were wandering around - who knew people got up so early 😀.
    Breakfast opened at 6.30 so we were at the buffet bright and breezy. Quite enjoyed being up at the crack of dawn, and it was a beautiful sunny morning, clear blue skies.
    We docked at Sitka today and hadn't booked any excursions so the day was ours to wander as we pleased. Sitka is classed as a city but it's tiny and only has 8,000 inhabitants. Some fabulous clapboard houses like you see in the films.
    We walked the one street which was a bit like something from an old American movie. We looked in the Russian orthodox "cathedral" (tiny), and had lunch at the Crab and Burger Shack. This was pretty much a fast food place, really good food but very expensive.....70 dollars for fish and chips and burger and chips (about £56 😱). We then wandered round the coast path to the National Historic Park which has wooded walks and a totem pole collection dotted along the paths. They are huge and amazing carvings.
    There were signs warning you that bears are around and what to do if you come across one - we just prayed we wouldn't 🙏🐻.
    Loads of salmon to watch leaping out of the water (Alaska is the salmon capital of the world) and we spotted a sealion 🦭 bobbing in and out of the water. Tried to get it on camera but it was really hard to keep track of 😀.
    By 4pm my knees and Mark's back were aching so we went back to the ship and chilled till dinner.
    A great day!
    Read more