Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Mansilla de las Mulas

    October 12, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    Today we walked another long rocky path. We are now in a little place called Mansilla de las Mulas. Our room in the casa rural is extremely pink! Like electric bubble gum pink! And has religious paintings on every wall. We’re glad they have a pilgrim’s dinner here at 7:00 so we can just chill. We’ll have breakfast here tomorrow and walk to the big city of Leon, which is only 18 km away.

    Today we watched a different phase of sunflower harvesting. The big mower cuts the stalks of sunflowers down and then mulches everything and then it goes over to a big trailer and puts all the mulch in there. Then they take the trailer to a processing plant.

    There are a lot of irrigated corn fields around here too. We crossed a big concrete canal today too but it wasn’t very full.

    Today’s walk was straight and simple. I’ll post a few pics so you can see! I don’t really get where FindPenguins gets the temperature info on the blog posts. It’s been hot almost every day since the Basque Country. Here in Mansilla de las Mulas today it was 86° when we arrived. Hot to be walking in without shade! But it’s forecast to possibly rain starting on Sunday. We’ll see!

    David carried a tiny backpack today with his sweater and beanie in it. He seems to be doing okay! And although I’m no longer giving off COVID cooties, I still have a cough but it’s not slowing me down. We had dinner with two very nice Australian women last night and one of them is taking taxis now because her feet are totally thrashed with blisters. We have been lucky! Our feet sometimes get sore on a long walk but neither of us has any blisters. I figure we’ve been hikers for so long that the skin on our feet is all calloused up!
    Read more