Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Into León

    October 13, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    Today we had a fairly short walk (13 miles or so) into León. It’s a big city with a cathedral that we’re hoping to go see when it reopens this afternoon. If we get inside I’ll post some interior pictures!

    The walk itself was uneventful. My feet are a little sore from the previous days walking over really rocky trails. But it was completely fine. The different thing that happened today was that there were dark clouds on the horizon. It wasn’t warm at all. A couple hours into our walk, it started to rain. It didn’t rain a whole lot, but it rained on and off for the last few hours of our walk into the city. We put on our ponchos to keep our bodies dry but also to keep our backpacks dry.

    We had a weird experience. We went to our hotel, and the hotel receptionist told us that she had no record of our reservation. We booked through an agency back in May. Even though the agency had an email, confirming our reservation, the hotel wasn’t buying it. So we went to get something to eat, and the agency booked us a new hotel in the same area. I think the room is nicer and it even has a skylight! when we went to go pick up our bag in the old hotel to move it to the new hotel, the receptionist was talking, smack and trying to convince us that the agency screwed everything up and it was their fault. We just said OK yeah and went to our new hotel where they not only wanted to see us, but they also gave us a nice room.

    So assuming we get into the Cathedral today, I think our visit to Leon will be really nice! Tomorrow we are walking out of the city and off to some random town, where a taxi is supposed to pick us up and take us to our lodging, which is in another random town. I am definitely going to call in the morning and make sure that all of those ducks are in a row because being stuck in a random town with no lodging does not sound like a fun way to spend the evening .

    David’s back is much improved! We’re feeling great and getting excited every time we look at a mileage marker. Tomorrow we should be in the 200 km range! Although we’re having a wonderful time here in Spain, getting closer to our goal of reaching Santiago is really exciting!
    Read more