Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Hospital de Óbrigos

    October 15, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F

    We had a short day today, only 15 km! We started where we left off yesterday at Villar de Mazarife. We stayed in a neighboring town and taxied back to where we stopped yesterday.

    It was expected to rain around 4:00 but actually started raining around 12:30 while we were still walking. But then we got to where we were headed fairly quickly so we only ended up hiking in ponchos for less than an hour.

    Today we learned a bit about water towers. The shape of water towers is different here, with many being shaped like funnels. Some are cylindrical or squared off but none are the shape of water towers in the US.

    When we arrived here our German friend Annette told us that the bridge into town is over a thousand years old and that they used to joust on the fields near the bridge. And when we arrived, as it is Sunday, there were people playing traditional music and doing traditional dances which was cool to watch!

    We’re chilling out in our room now until dinner at 6:30. I think we’re the only guests here! It’s Sunday and rainy so there’s not much to do. Tomorrow we’re going to Astorga and I’m hoping to get new shoes as mine are all beaten up and have lost their support around the heel which is giving me sore feet.
    Read more