Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Into Villar de Mazarife

    October 14, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    We walked to Villar de Mazarife but the travel booking people had us catch a taxi from there to San Martin del Camino. We’re staying in a private room in an albergue.This albergue has a pool to soak your feet AND excitingly a washer and dryer! We are very excited!!! We’re sitting in the nice weather (rain yesterday, rain tomorrow, rain Tuesday-Friday next week) reading our phones having already done the Wordle, the Mini Crossword, and done Connections. We are at an albergue that serves dinner too so we don’t have to go out looking for food! Life is good!

    I’m putting pictures from last evening’s visit to the cathedral in León on this post. It was amazing! It always makes me wonder what medieval people thought of cathedrals! There were no big buildings at that time so cathedrals must have been mind-blowing.

    Today’s walk was pretty flat, though suburbs first and eventually through countryside. We saw some parachutes around a small airport near a little town called Chozas Abajo. Chozas are huts, usually thatched roof huts. Although we didn’t see any chozas, it seems like a funny name for a town with an airfield. The town was small, like maybe a couple hundred people max.

    So today we had a cool experience. Somehow I’m taking David’s hiking poles in and out of the sides of my pack, his floppy sun hat fell on the ground. When we discovered this we were bummed. That hat is goofy looking but it’s so helpful for hiking in the sun! And also if it’s just raining a bit it keeps the rain off his glasses. BUT! About an hour after we discovered the hat was lost, we took a break and saw this very striking, elegant woman we’ve crossed paths with many times. She wears billowy dresses and uses an old school walking stick. And when we saw her today we saw that David’s hat was hanging from her walking stick! So we finally had a chance to chat with her. She’s from France and said she just found his hat in the middle of the Camino. We gave her many merci bou coups for returning his hat! And then we saw her later in the village we walked to. A new friend!
    Read more