Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    The Sun King and Versailles

    April 5, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Our afternoon saw us on a 45 minute bus ride out of Paris to the palace of Versailles where we spent an hour and a half wandering through the gardens. There are a variety of different garden areas scattered over many acres and we didn't even begin to scratch the surface of these vast and beautiful green spaces dotted with fountains, topiary and ponds before we had to return to our tour meeting point. We did learn in hindsight that there are golf carts for rent in the gardens that would have allowed us to see more in our allotted time.
    After buying a Versailles magnet for our fridge, we re-joined our tour group and entered the Palace. We were told that Versailles started as a hunting lodge for the king and then was expanded into the huge palace and gardens later.
    We toured through the ballroom, the King's chambers, the Queen's boudoir and the hall of mirrors. Everywhere we saw beautiful red and white marble, delicate plaster work and ceilings covered in paintings depicting the gods. Portraits of the Royal family members lined the walls and the splendor of the palace surrounded us and emphasized how different life was within these walls.
    Crystal chandeliers hung in each room and would have provided so much sparkle as the beeswax candles flickered in the evenings. Adding to that dazzle were the mirrored walls and gold decorations of the Hall of Mirrors. That room lived up to its hype and would have impressed even the most critical of the Royal opponents. It was easy to hear the swish of silk ball gowns and the clink of long ago champagne flutes in this chamber that still echoes with the music of past dances if you listen just right...
    Oh la la!
    Read more