Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Moulin Rouge

    April 5, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Tonight we get to visit an iconic piece of Parisian culture and history called the Moulin Rouge. Built in the late 1800's, this risque Cabaret has withstood the test of time and sells out daily. In order to get our dinner and show tickets, we had to book in February.
    We were excited to go to this venue, but it was a minimum of a half hour driving time from our hotel, so we booked a taxi using WhatsApp to get us there.
    It actually took us about 40 minutes to navigate the narrow busy streets of Paris, but finally we came to the corner across from this landmark and there it was! The Moulin Rouge stood between ordinary buildings, but she flamboyantly celebrated her existence with her bright red paint, bright lights and her windmill on her roof.
    Inside the building, she was draped in red velvety cloth walls and had cabaret posters dotted here and there that reminded me of a circus atmosphere. The tiered audience area led down to a stage covered with heavy velvet curtains that sparkled in the dining lights.
    We were shown to our table where we were treated to a 3 course dinner complete with a half bottle each of our choice of either champagne or red or white wine. The appetizers were either quail on celery slices or salmon. The entree was either stuffed chicken or fish. While Doug's fish was fine, the chicken was a bit dry.
    We finished our meal with a chocolate puff pastry sprinkled with caramelized popcorn, which I had, or a strawberry creamy dessert that Doug enjoyed. While we ate, we were entertained by live singers accompanied by a 4 piece band.
    And then the show began. Photos are not allowed during the show, but the costumes were stunning. The dancers and singers led us through a variety of sets from asian inspired dances, to WWII era jives, to the very Parisian cancan. Interspersed throughout the show we're amazing acrobatic and balancing acts and even a swimming tank complete with python snakes that curled sinuously around the woman performer while she dipped and twirled in the water. Often there were probably over 50 people on the stage and it was hard to take in every glittering, dancing athlete. While some dancers were topless, the show was art performed by extremely talented dancers and singers.
    Two Russian men performed an acrobatic demonstration that defied logic as they balanced one on top of the other, head to head.
    An hour and a half later, we filed out of the theatre to find our pre-arranged taxi, while comparing notes about how amazing the entire show had been. The talent at the Moulin Rouge was impressive and was an experience not to be missed!
    Our ride home cost $50 euros for the 4 of us, which was not cheap, but the peace of mind the pre-arranged taxi brought us late at night was worth it. We returned to our hotel rooms full of sights and sounds of Paris as no one but the Moulin Rouge could present it.

    Quelle Vie!!
    Read more