Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The Louvre

    April 14, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Once we were booked into our room, we had to race down to the RER train station to travel to the Louvre. This was our first attempt at riding the train system and we managed quite well. We got off at the Musee d'Orsay stop and walked along the Seine River until we crossed a bridge to bring us to the Louvre.
    We had pre-purchased Paris Museum Passes and I had booked our 6:30 pm entry time, so our entry into the Louvre went very smoothly. After passing through the security check, we secured a wheelchair for our friend and headed straight to the Mona Lisa lineup using D elevator, followed by K elevator. In about 20 minutes we entered the Mona Lisa room to line up in the queue to see her. Suddenly, a man instructed us to bring our wheelchair bound friend out of the line and we were allowed in front of the whole line to see the Mona Lisa up close and personal. It was amazing! And suddenly our friend was the most popular member of our group because she allowed us to get VIP service!
    We visited Mona Lisa, the winged victory Nike, the Venus de Milo and Psyche et L'Amour, among many other works of art.
    Everywhere we looked, some additional masterpiece called to us
    After over 2 hours in the Louvre, Doug and I caught the Tootbus and rode it around Paris looking at the landmarks lit up in the night. Around 1030 pm, we returned to our room with its wonderful view of the Eiffel tower.
    Vivre le Paris!
    Read more