Satellite
  • Day 29

    Dingle Peninsula

    September 14, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Looking out the window this morning, it's not looking too bright, but by the time we'd packed up and had breakfast it was improving with patches of blue sky peeking through!

    We're heading off to drive around the Dingle Peninsula hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more than yesterday. We did have a few showers here and there but it was mostly clear and the wind had dropped off a bit thank goodness.

    The Dingle Peninsula is quite a bit more dramatic than the Ring of Kerry. Beautiful scenery all the way around and lots of places to stop and take photos. More stone forts, they are everywhere around here. Makes you wonder why they would have wanted to settle on the windy hillsides and not somewhere more cosy.

    Stae Head is gorgeous, you walk out onto the end of the peninsula with all the sheep and look down over the cliffs into the bright clear water of the Atlantic. Freezing cold and windy but lovely views!

    I'd seen a photo of somewhere on the Peninsula and nearly missed it. We asked the waitress where we had lunch, " Oh yeah that's Dunquin Peir this is, you'll be needing to go back a bit" ha ha she sounded exactly like that!

    Luckily it was only 5 klms back so didn't take long, think lots of people miss it, only a few of us there to see the lovely headland. It's where the ferry leaves for one of the islands and it's rarely used by the look of it.

    More gorgeous views all the way back to Dingle where we would have been happy to stay another night, but all booked up.

    Pouring rain when we pulled up in Tralee. This is a working town by the look of it, not many tourists around. Still lots of pub but not much food or accommodation. We went into one pub and asked for rooms, after calling a couple she sent us to a B and B down the street.

    Sweet young girl in the tea shop there was so thrilled to have us, we didn't have the heart to turn her down. " You'll be wanting a private room then?" I didn't know there was any other kind!! Ha ha ha It was cheap anyway which is about the best thing you could say for it! It's a good story for another day. The look on Graham's face cracks me up every time I think about it!

    Back to our friendly bar maid for a Guinness and a recommendation for dinner. OMG the food was delicious. I keep waiting to be disappointed with a meal, but it hasn't happened yet!
    Read more