Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Tokyo!

    May 20, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We have a volunteer guide meeting us this morning not sure what this is going to be like. He arrived promptly at 9 and it was pretty obvious straight away his English wasn’t that great and he didn’t have a lot of knowledge or a way to interpret it into English for us.

    Anyway he took us on a nice cruise down the river and through Hamarikyu Gardens. It was so funny, Graham was asking him the name of trees and plants and I’ve never seen anyone less interested in a garden. Even had to look up what a Ginko Tree was, amd they are all over Japan. Next up the fish markets and a nice sushi lunch. Then on to the Imperial Palace which was uninspiring to say the least.

    By this time it was about one and really hot so we sent him home after that, and got the subway back to Asakusa, which as far as I could see is the best place in Tokyo. I’m sure there are some nice spots somewhere, but so many people, lots of traffic and exhaust fumes.

    Spent the afternoon walking around Asakusa, still plenty of people here too. Found a few souvenirs and had a nice dinner.

    It’s raining today but we fly home tonight so we don’t really care. Except my shoes are getting wet.
    Read more