Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Mt Aso Naka-dake 1st Crater

    May 20, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    A visit to see the Mt Aso the most active volcano in Japan. It’s closed to the public a lot of the time because of the poisonous gases it emits, so we were lucky to see it. Fascinating, but one of the most inhospitable places I’ve ever seen. The top of the mountains is so barren and hostile looking but when you get down below a certain level it is so green and lush, with flowers blooming everywhere.

    It certainly is a twisty windy road up through these mountain, none of the places we’re visiting are very far apart and they all basically circle Mt Aso but it’s a bit of a torturous path to get to them.
    Graham is embracing his inner rally driver! I had a go as well, much more fun when you’re the one driving.

    Our accomodation for tonight says you can book in between 3 and 7 and we made it there with two minutes to spare. This is a ramshackle old place run by three old guys, talk about needing a facelift this place could do with a major overhaul. Obviously their usual clientele don’t worry about the aesthetics too much. There are quite a few motor bike riders staying here with us. Not the biker kind more like the middle age crisis kind.
    Anyway the room was clean and so was the loo. If there was a bathroom somewhere we couldn’t find it, guess one night without a shower won’t hurt us. It’s in the middle of nowhere so dinner was a bit of a dilemma as well but they whipped up something for us in the lovely hygienic kitchen.
    Read more