Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Nairobi

    June 10, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We’re only in Nairobi for one day and there is a full day planned. Our accomodation here is at someone’s private residence. It is a gorgeous place with beautiful gardens and hidden corners everywhere.

    First off is a visit to the Elephant Orphanage. Sheldrick Wildlife Trust started a trust for orphaned or abandoned baby elephants. Baby elephants need a lot of care and it’s a long time until they are weaned and are able to be released. They start weaning at 4 years and start introducing back to the herd at five. They are just like toddlers, fighting over the food, rolling in the mud, trying to take things off each other.

    Then on to the Giraffe Center. Nice to see them up close and be able to feed them but I’m really looking forward to seeing them in the wild. They have the longest blue tongues and are so gentle.

    Lunch was a bit of a fiasco but we did eventually get fed and watered. Had to wait so long for the food we were a bit too well watered.

    Then the Karen Blixen Museum. After a few drinks at lunch it took a bit of concentration to follow the guides commentary but we think we got the gist of it. Karen Blixen was best known for writing Out of Africa. She had a coffee plantation here for many years was much loved by the Kenyan people which isn’t surprising as she did numerous things to improve the community around her. Started a home for women of domestic violence. A school for the children. I feel like a celebrity here, there is Karen everything. School, shopping centre, hospitals. All named after me..😂
    We are staying in Karen, the suburb in Nairobi named after the famous author and where the coffee plantation was located.

    We had a quite last evening at the Hotel, game of cards and a few drinks. Because we’d had such a late lunch we all settled for a bit of soup for dinner.
    Read more